Too Much Media will move your CARMA installation to a new server for $195. We recommend you use this service.
The following steps describe moving CARMA on your own. Although you can forgo our service fee by doing it yourself, please keep in mind that there will be an hourly charge for any support required during this process. The rate of support is $150/hr Note: these steps require some down time, but they guarantee database consistency and consistent service during the DNS switch-over.
You new server must meet the CARMA requirements.
Set up CARMA on the New Server
- Copy the carma directory to the new server. You can use the
- Please be sure to check to make sure all the correct symbolic links are set up in the carma/www, carma/site_scripts, and carma/tour_scripts directories. These symbolic links should be:
- If any of these symbolic links are not available or not set up correctly in your carma/www/ directory, please put in a support ticket
- Copy the virtual hosts section of your Apache http.conf to the new server.
- In the new server's http.conf, update the virtual host settings to use the new server's IP address
- Get a CARMA license for your new server. Please open a new ticket and tell us with the zendid if you are using Zend, or the MAC address if you are using IonCube
- If you have Zend, you may need to set up the path to the Zend license in the php.ini by adding the following line:
zend_optimizer.license_path=/path to carma/licenses/
- Change the paths in the following files to be correct on the new server.
- Change the MySQL connection information for the includes/config.php file on the new server so it can connect to the database on the original server. Test that CARMA is working correctly using the IP address of the new server
At this point, CARMA should work correctly on both servers and will use the database on the original server.
Moving the Database to the New Server
Your CARMA site will be down during these steps.
- Shut down the database on the original server. This makes CARMA stop working.
- Copy the database to the new server.
- Change the config.php file on the new server to use the new database and check that CARMA is working correctly.
- Change the config.php file on the original server to connect to the new server's database.
At this point, CARMA should work correctly on both servers and will use the database on the new server.
Switch the DNS
- Have your host switch the DNS name to the new server. Please open a new ticket when the DNS change is complete so we can update your CARMA license.